HttpWebRequest_WebException_RemoteServer Remote Server not found

May 20, 2011 at 10:49 PM

We used almost same code in our silverlight application where large files are being uploaded.

It works fine on some machines but on some, user gets remote server not found exception. Any idea what can cause this?

Coordinator
May 21, 2011 at 12:09 AM
If I was to guess I'd say that the client app is not getting a connection to the web server. Silverlight backs the TCP connection to the HTTP server via WinInet I believe so in theory you should not have to set up a proxy for the component to talk with the web server over a standard port 80 connection. Silverlight does some strange stuff with security though if your running from a different port.

What I would do on the one of the trouble client machines is run Microsoft Fiddler and get a trace of the session to see whats happening. Else I might uninstall/re-install Silverlight too.

If you client is running the uploader from a web page under the same URL where your uploading it should work. Heres some reading if your trying some of this cross protocol or cross domain but it doesnt sound like thats the problem. http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.net.webclient.proxy%28VS.80%29.aspx

Are some of your clients behind a firewall? Are you using standard port 80 to deliver the web page and the XAP file and upload as well? I take it that the back end is not a web farm either.

Just some thoughts.. Hope that helps..

On Fri, May 20, 2011 at 3:49 PM, gkaya <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

We used almost same code in our silverlight application where large files are being uploaded.

It works fine on some machines but on some, user gets remote server not found exception. Any idea what can cause this?

Coordinator
May 24, 2011 at 10:23 PM

One other idea from what I had already suggested.   If your clients are using older browser technologies you might try and lower the value for .MaxUploadThreads=2 down to 1.   I still think that something like MS Fiddler would be the better bet though.  

Hope that helps.